Makes 8 servings | Category: Kid Friendly Vegan
Looking for a delicious comfort food recipe that packs in some hidden veggies?
Look no further!
Our mouthwatering Hidden Veggie Mac ‘n’ Cheese is here to satisfy all your cheesy cravings while giving you a nutritious twist. Get ready for a creamy and flavorful experience that will leave you wanting more.
Let’s dive into this wholesome and indulgent dish that even the pickiest eaters won’t be able to resist!
- ½ medium (1-pound) head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup diced radishes
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup cooked great Northern beans
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (nut-free and/or soy-free if necessary)
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (soy-free if necessary), melted
- 2 teaspoons white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pepita Parmesan, optional
- Place the cauliflower, carrots, and
- radishes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook the vegetables until easily pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Remove from the heat, drain well, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender. Add the beans, milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tomato paste, butter, miso, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and mustard powder. Process until smooth. Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Return to the stove and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until heated through and the sauce has thickened. Serve immediately topped with Pepita Parmesan (if using). Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.